The Elk County Housing Authority is currently accepting resumes for a part-time or full-time maintenance mechanic position for our St. Marys, PA location. A competitive wage will be based on experience.
Please submit your resume to:
Elk County Housing Authority
Attn: Heather Giroir
424 Water St. Ext.
Johnsonburg, PA 15845
Please submit your resume by mail or in person by September 20, 2021.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Maintenance Mechanic is responsible for a wide variety of maintenance and repair activities of apartments, buildings, grounds and equipment owned and/or managed by the Housing Authority. This position will be for our St. Mary’s location.
Complete repairs, maintenance and upkeep (resulting from resident workorders, routine maintenance, preventative maintenance and as assigned). Specific work may include but is not limited to:
- Plumbing stoppages and repairs
- Electrical fuses, switches, wall plates, bulbs and repairs
- Repairing plastered walls and ceilings
- Performing general roof and rainspout repairs
- Repairing appliances
- Repairing or replacing windows
- Furnace repairs
- Lock changes & repairs
- Floor replacements and repairs
- Screen repairs and replacements
- Concrete or pavement work
- Maintaining boilers and air conditioning systems
Maintain landscaped areas in a clean safe and orderly condition, including trimming, mowing, raking, planting, weeding, trash pick-up & other services related to grounds maintenance
Perform snow & ice removal and clearing of sidewalks and parking lots
Assure vacancy preparation of units for re-occupancy is completed in a thorough and timely manner
Inspect properties periodically to determine needed repairs including but not limited to preventative maintenance, grounds, smoke detectors and Uniform Physical Inspections
Maintain units and complete necessary repairs in order to achieve a score for the REAC Physical Inspection of 90 or above
Maintain agency vehicles including regular cleaning, refueling, and light service work
Perform repairs, cleaning and preventative procedures on lawn equipment, snow removal equipment, generator, ventilation systems, security systems, motors, etc.
Maintain garages, shops and storage areas in an organized and safe condition
Provide emergency on-call and emergency call assignments including workorder call outs and snow removal
Maintain logs, records and documentation on a daily basis and submit paperwork as required.
Maintain accurate inventory of supplies and equipment & requisition as needed
Responsible for conducting all required inspections of housing units in the Authority
Perform a variety of HQS Inspections and related administrative tasks of the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program. Specific duties include but not limited to:
- Performs initial and re-inspection of units for compliance with HQS. Advises owners and residents of results and encourages them to maintain units properly
- Makes rent reasonableness adjustments and recommended amount of initial contract rent and rent adjustments based on comparable unassisted housing
- Performs resident-compliant and owner damage-claim inspections. Advises parties of results and ensures actions of tenant comply with HQS
- Performs annual recertification inspections. Advises parties of results and any repairs needed to be in compliance with HQS
- Advises owners of procedures to correct HQS deficiencies in units detected by inspections
- And in working with the Section 8 Coordinator, together may recommend abatement, detainment and termination of housing assistance payment contracts as relates to HQS
- Identifies potential Section 8 properties and contacts landlords to inform them of programs
- May perform clerical duties such as typing cover letters, operating copying machines, addressing envelopes and mailing information to owners and residents, and maintain files for all types of inspections
- Performs other duties as required
- Attend and participate in Housing Authority meetings, activities, committees and trainings
- Keep supervisor apprised as to work activities
- Perform duties as assigned or required by supervisor
Education & Experience
- High school diploma or general education degree
- Five or more years’ experience in general building maintenance
- Thorough knowledge of materials, tools, techniques, and terminology used in the maintenance of buildings
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record
- Frequently required to sit, stand, walk, climb, balance, bend, twist, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- Frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls.
- Frequently lift and/or move objects of moderate (15-50 lbs.) weight and occasionally lift objects of heavy weight (over 80 lbs.)
- Frequently required to stand for long periods of time, sit for long periods of time, climb ladders, and work with hands over head
- Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and depth perception
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to get along well with others
- Good communication skills
- Good Planning and Organization skills
- Resourceful, flexible, cooperative
- Prompt and dependable
- Employee is expected to provide excellent customer service to tenants by consistently completing work orders, and explaining work orders, fees and other issues while maintaining a professional, non-judgmental relationship with residents.